How is life treating you?
It’s Autumn in my area. The time when people take mini-vacations to look at leaves that have changed color. (Yes, it’s a thing. They’re called “leafers” or “leaf peepers.”)
“Autumn is the third season of the year. This is when crops and fruits are gathered, and leaves fall. In the northern hemisphere, it is from September to November.” (Thanks, Google.)
September has been especially hard for several areas. In my newsfeed, I see:
- Montana suffering from fires.
- Texas still taking hits from the horrible weather.
- The historic destruction in Florida.
- Puerto Rico facing months of devastation.
- Fallout from the earthquake in Mexico.
I’m sure there are more stories like this all over the world. These are just the headlines where I live. It’s been terrible. As Green Day put it, “Wake Me Up When September Ends.”
Then there’s happier news:
WMMR, a radio rock station in Philadelphia (PA, USA), was voted the best rock station of all time.
I heard about this while checking out the A TO Z event they held.
Cool stuff! I was listening to tunes while finishing the publication of my debut novel, an urban fantasy titled “Fractions of Existence.”
Operation Awesome (a blog in the 2017 A to Z Challenge) had team member Kara interview me. Usually, I’m the one interviewing debut authors, so this was an interesting experience!
If you happen to be a writer, I suggest checking out this IWSG post. Not one, but TWO contests! What??? That’s amazing!
Have you encountered any A to Z fun in a non-blog place?
Are there any books by debut authors you’re looking forward to in the coming months?
Do you have any big news to share?
from Blogger http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/2017/09/wake-me-up-when-september-ends.html
In my neck of the woods, it’s the time of year when all the stores overflow with stationery, all of which is on sale. For parents and children, this is known as “back to school shopping.”
For writers, this is known as “fueling for the addiction.” (I’d tell you I’m kidding, but my wallet would disagree. Also, I have habit of sniffing… deeply inhaling… new notebooks. That scent is “the good stuff.” Am I alone in this?)
Here’s an A to Z stationery shopping list:
- A is for — activity books
- B is for — books ~~~ If you enjoy reading, check these out:
Bout of Books Read-a-thon — August 21-27.
The Tackle Your TBR Read-a-thon — September 11-24
- C is for — crayons
- D is for — dictonary
- E is for — erasers
- F is for — flashcards
- G is for — glue
- H is for — hundreds of index cards
- I is for — ink filled pens
- J is for — jump drive (USB flash drive, data stick, pen drive, memory unit, key chain drive and thumb drive)
- K is for — kicks (sneakers, tennis shoes)
- L is for — lined paper
- M is for — measuring devices (rulers, protractors)
- N is for — notebook, spiral bound
- O is for — object to carry books and such in (backpack)
- P is for — pencils
- Q is for — Quaker oatmeal, cereal, fast breakfast foods
- R is for — reward stickers
- S is for — stapler
- T is for — thesaurus
- U is for — utensils
- V is for — variety of three-ring binders
- W is for — wireless notebook
- X is for — Xbox lunchbox
- Y is for — yellow highlighter
- Z is for — zit remover
I admit this alphabetical list has strayed from stationery in places.
What words might you suggest for K, Q, U, X, or Z?
Have an idea for an A to Z post? Are you a past participant who would like to be featured? Let me know!
by J Lenni Dorner
Reference and Speculative Fiction Author
A to Z Challenge Co-Host
Operation Awesome Debut Author Spotlight Organizer
from Blogger http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/2017/08/back-to-stationery-shopping.html